Want to enter our cosplay contest for a chance to win some really cool prizes and meet some really cool people? Then you’re in the right place! Read the rules below!
-All participants must have a Mizuumi-con badge.
-Online sign ups opens February 1, 2019 and ends March 31, 2019 at 11:59pm. Entries will not be automatically submitted past the end date. There will be very limited slots in the cosplay show, so the sooner you enter the better. On-site sign ups are not guaranteed as slots fill up fast.
-Designated check-in times will be announced before the convention. Please check-in during any of these times to be sure your slot is secured for the show and to get prejudging, and show times. You may check with cosplay staff at those times if there are any slots available for on-site sign ups.
-Categories are separated into Walk-ons and Skit entries. There is an optional craftsmanship award if you elect to attend prejudging.
-There is no age restrictions on entering the contest, however, contestants under the age of 12 will need to be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian at all times.
-All costumes must abide by the rules of the convention dress code and weapon policy. If a policy violation is discovered by any of the staff or judges, that entry will be disqualified.
–Purchased costumes will no longer be allowed to enter the contest. However, exceptions can be made for costumes that contain modified or altered pieces. You may even enter these costumes for prejudging, just be prepared to explain the process of how the costume was created, altered, or modified.
–We follow the 70% handmade rule. If you have any questions, please ask a member of cosplay staff as costumes can be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
-Costumes do not have to be worn by the creator. A model may be chosen to showcase a costume but the creator of the costume MUST be present at sign-up and prejudging. Creators also must be prepared to explain the creative process behind the costume.
-If the contestant elects to attend prejudging, they are highly encouraged to bring reference materials. Not all judges know all characters and so it’s in your best interest to bring in a photo (or several if possible) to show the judges.
-Sandbagging is prohibited. Costumes that have previously won awards are not eligible to win awards in our competition. Entering an awarded costume is grounds for disqualification of current and future contests.
-During the performance portion of the contest, you must be able to move freely enough that you can go up and down stairs. Should you need assistance for a bulky costume, you are advised to bring an assistant to help you as Mizuumi-con will not be able to provide contestants with a handler.
-If you have any special needs, please let a member of cosplay staff know and we will do what we can to accommodate.
-Each walk-on will have 30 seconds to walk the stage. Groups will be granted some extra time so that all members can get time to shine on stage.
-Skits are limited to 2 minutes and 30 seconds for their performance.
-Please bring a cd or usb with your skit audio in mp3 format to the rehearsal so that it can be given to the tech staff to play for your skit. You must be okay with staff labeling your media with your skit number and name so we know when to play the music.
-There will be no running, jumping, or flipping on stage. Please use the stairs to enter and exit the stage as jumping off or onto the stage is absolutely prohibited and will be grounds for disqualification and will be asked to leave.
-There will be no use of fire, glitter, liquids, projectiles of any sort, or any other objects that will cause a mess. What goes on the stage must come off the stage.
-There will not be any microphones provided to the contestants.
-We ask that all contestants display good sportsmanship to each other and the judges.
-There will be numerous prizes as decided by the judges. There will be a Best in Show, Best Walk On, Best Skit, and Judges Awards. There may be more awards at the discretion of the judges.
-While we don’t foresee any changes to these rules, certain circumstances may require the rules to change. These rules and any changes will be posted at the cosplay sign-up booth for viewing at any time.
Quick Rundown of our Cosplay Rules
- This is a family-friendly convention, please try to keep it as PG as possible.
- Make sure your costume does not contour to private body parts. If it does, please wear extra undergarments as necessary. Men must also wear proper undergarments (this includes dance belts where applicable). If your costume requires a lot of exposed skin, consider wearing a nude bodysuit.
- Ice Skates (with or without the guards) are not allowed as either shoes OR props.
- No regular skates or roller blades allowed inside the event space.
- Shoes may be removed for photo shoots only, and must be worn at all other times. Socks do not count as shoes. A sturdy covering on the bottom of your foot is a must.
- Costumes that can be confused with local, state, or federal law enforcement of any kind are not allowed.
- There is no profanity allowed on costumes or clothing during the convention.
- If a complaint is received about your costume or outfit the matter will be investigated and you may be asked to change.
- If wearing a large costume with wings or other large pieces that extend beyond your reach, are difficult to retract, or impair your vision then make sure you have a handler or two to assist you and/or be more aware of your surroundings.
- If you are asked for a photo, please make sure to move out of the flow of traffic. Blocking hallways/walkways is a violation of the fire safety regulations and you will be asked to move.
- There is no live weapons, metal, or otherwise working gun parts (including airsoft or working nerf guns) allowed. Please be sure guns are capped and marked with a bright tip to ensure safety.
- Make sure to stay cool, well hydrated, and eat a proper meal!
-If you have any questions or concerns about the cosplay contest, please notify a member of cosplay staff. If you have any questions before the convention starts, you can email the cosplay staff head at firstname.lastname@example.org